Applied Piezo: Applications
Piezoelectric materials are used in numerous applications.
The direct piezoelectric effect is used in e.g.
- generators (e.g. gas igniters)
- sensors (e.g. accelerometers, pressure sensors)
- switches (e.g. in control panels)
- ultrasonic transducers (e.g. in medical imaging)
The indirect piezoelctric effect is used in e.g.
- actuators (for micropositioning, micropumps, microvalves)
- motors (e.g. inchworm motors, SAW motors)
- speakers, buzzers (e.g. in mobile phones)
- ultrasonic transducers (e.g. sonar)
A combination of the direct and the indirect piezoelectric effect is found in
- active vibration control (e.g. active damping)
- smart structures (e.g. active shape control)
- voltage transformers
- quartz oscillators (e.g. for timing in microelectronics)